Stage 3 (122.6km) of the Presidential Tour of Turkey — It was a pretty important stage to finish on the other side [in Eceabat] yesterday. Obviously a lot of New Zealanders lost their lives there and it’s only one week out from Anzac Day, so it’s great to be here.
Also check out:
It would be nice to come back here on a different occasion, but it was great to race around. It’s great to be here as a New Zealander.
Today was good, I guess. It was a short stage, fast stage. We had to control it for the third day in a row. [The stage] was really short I think. Less than three hours and now it’s done.
Back to start the recovery process again.
Stage 3, Top 5 results:
1. Fabio Jakobsen (NED), Deceuninck – Quick-Step, 2:50:12
2. Sam Bennett (IRL), Bora-Hansgrohe, s.t.
3. Mark Cavendish (GBR), Team Dimension Data, s.t.
4. Caleb Ewan (AUS), Lotto Soudal, s.t.
5. Christophe Noppe (BEL), Sport Vlaanderen – Baloise, s.t.
General classification, Top 5 results:
1. Sam Bennett (IRL), Bora-Hansgrohe, 11:04:08
2. Felix Großschartner (AUT), Bora-Hansgrohe, +0:20
3. Jhonatan Restrepo (COL), Manzana-Postobon, +0:22
4. Jan Polanc (SLO), UAE-Team Emirates, +0:26
5. Gonzalo Serrano (ESP), Caja Rural – Seguros RGA, +0:26
For previous diary entry, click here.
About Shane Archbold:
New Zealand WorldTour rider Shane Archbold signed his second stint with Bora-Hansgrohe in April after starting the 2019 season with EvoPro Racing following a year with Aqua Blue Sport. The 2013 An Post Ras stage winner is a critical component in the Bora sprint train, which leads out such notable sprinters as Sam Bennett and three-time world champion Peter Sagan.