UAE Tour, Stage 18?! Or whatever it was today after we spent (what seemed like) eight hours riding through the desert at 30km/h. No, it’s Stage 5 (181km) — nothing to report.
We got around and all got involved in a big bunch sprint at the end. Jakub Mareczko, our sprinter, ended up eighth, which is pretty solid result given the field.
But we turn our attention to tomorrow, Jebel Jais, the climb, looks really, really long. Don’t think we’ve raced it in the Dubai Tour (now combined with Abu Dhabi Tour to make up the inaugural UAE Tour) before, so it should be interesting.
Victor de la Parte (ESP) is eighth on [general classification], so we look to protect that and move up if he can — if he’s got the legs, but it looks like it’s going to be all about the climb tomorrow.
Stage 5, Top 5 results:
1. Elia Viviani (ITA), Deceuninck-Quick Step 4:48:59
2. Fernando Gaviria (COL), UAE-Team Emirates, s.t.
3. Marcel Kittel (GER), Katusha-Alpecin, s.t.
4. Sam Bennett (IRL), Bora-Hansgrohe, s.t.
5. Reinardt Janse van Rensburg (RSA), Team Dimension Data, s.t.