UAE Tour Stage 3 came down to a little bit of a fitness test on the final climb. We kind of rolled around the desert for a few hours. Didn’t really get up to much and then we hit the climb. I had a dip — had a go. I didn’t really know where I was at coming back from crashing and a bit of a training block.
Tried to stretch the legs. I felt I could get to the top, but obviously didn’t get to the top. It’s a work in progress. But it’s positive signs looking at tomorrow. We got a short, sharp climb up to the finish of Hatta Dam, which should suit the sprinters that can kind of punch out a bit longer.
So, we will see how it goes tomorrow.
Stage 3, Top 5 results:
1. Alejandro Valverde (ESP), Movistar Team, 4:44:50
2. Primož Roglič (SLO), Jumbo-Visma, s.t.
3. David Gaudu (FRA), Groupama-FDJ, s.t.
4. Emanuel Buchmann (GER), Bora-Hansgrohe, +0:04
5. Dan Martin (IRL), UAE-Team Emirates, +0:12
General classification, Top 5 results:
1. Primož Roglič (SLO), Jumbo-Visma, 9:38:05
2. Alejandro Valverde (ESP), Movistar Team, +0:14
3. David Gaudu (FRA), Groupama-FDJ, +0:31
4. Emanuel Buchmann (GER), Bora-Hansgrohe, +0:39
5. Wilco Kelderman (NED), Team Sunweb, +0:47
For previous diary entry, click here.
About Patrick Bevin:
The Taupo native is entering his fifth season as a WorldTour rider, his first with the Polish-registered CCC Pro Team, which merged his BMC Racing team with CCC-Sprandi-Polkowice. Bevin is a reigning two-time national time trial champion, 2019 Tour Down Under stage winner and points champion, as well as previous stage winner at Tour de Korea, Tour de Taiwan and the Herald Sun Tour.