Many of the pro riders are twittering to their fans directly after their races; here is a selection of the comments directly after each stage of the Amgen Tour of California;
Stage 8 - post race
- Lance Armstrong (Astana),Tour of Cali is done. Levi takes the overall and Team Astana takes the team GC. Great week for us. Headed to the airport. ATX here we come!! Today we announced we're doing the Tour of Ireland and the LS Global Summit will immediately follow the race. Can't wait!!
- Tom Danielson (Garmin), Awesome stage today. Hope next year we finish on top of palomar! Thank you everyone for your support this week.
- Micheal Rogers (Columbia), Hard stage today. Happy the week is over. Looking forward to some R & R. Loads of people again today! This race rocks! I'll be back in 2010
- Garmin Team, We rode a great race, but there was another team that rode a better one. Now we just need to focus on working for the months ahead.
- Micheal Rogers (Columbia). Out for dinner with the team sponsors. I'm in the mood for a big one. What beer you guys drink down here in San Diego?
Stage 8- pre race
- Christian Vande Velde (Garmin), I don't want to go to school today.
- Tom Danielson (Garmin), Good morning! Steph is here and its all good!
- Lance Armstrong (Astana), Palomar mtn today. I remember living out here the summer of '87 and renting a room from my buddy Steve Stowers. Lots of great memories riding Palomar many times with Scott Tinley - a triathlon legend.
- Floyd Landis (OUCH),The TOC has been a blast. It sure will be fun racing on some familiar roads.
Stage 7 - post race
- Lance Armstrong Done with stage 7 into Pasadena. The crowds were nothing short of amazing. Thanks to you all for coming out. The peloton was psyched.
- Lance Armstrong. Now driving down to san diego. Some hellacious transfers in this race. Bummed Hincapie didn't get the "w" today, he looked strong.
- Micheal Rogers. (Columbia) Wow, how many people at the finish circuit today? Crazy stuff. Hincapie was in the break but was marked hard. I really think races like AToC & TDU are taking a little focus out of traditional cycling Europe. Cycling is the new Golf.
- Levi Leipheimer. (Astana)On our way to Rancho Bernardo for the last stage. The crowds at the Rose Bowl were overwhelming! Everyone in the race was talking about it
- George Hincapie. (Columbia) Gave it a go today. Legs were good, just did not pull it off.
- Johan Bruyneel. (Astana Mgt) Stage 7 is behind us. The team had a lot of work to do to defend Levi's yellow but they looked pretty solid. One to do.
- Levi Leipheimer (Astana), The guys were so solid today. Like a machine on the circuits.
- Tom Danielson (Garmin), Hard day today. Astana had to work a lot. CVV was baller in the break!
Stage 6 Time Trial - post Race
- Ivan Basso, Liquigas, "I cant continue the ToC, I hit my knee on the handlebar, tried to warm up for the tt, but too much pain. I'm sad but I need to stop.."
- Tom Peterson, Garmin, "Is sick."
- George Hincapie (Team Columbia), "Hard day today. Team is pretty happy with result. We had 3 guys in top 10."
- Michael Rogers (Columbia), "Happy with 4th in todays TT. Couldn't have gone any quicker. Levi and Dave Z went fast. I'll try again in the next stages"
- Lance Armstrong (Astana),"Done with the tt. That hurt! Not a bad first test. Wanted to be top 15 so was able to do that. Story of the day tho was Levi. Amazing"
- Tom Danielson (Garmin), "Had a good tt but not great. Not so dialed yet in the tt's this year. Lots of hard work ahead for me."
- Johan Bruyneel (Astana Mgmt), "Spirits are high. Levi did it again! Hats off. He owns Solvang now."
Stage 6 Time Trial - pre race twitters
- Lance Armstrong (Astana), Swapping the "i" and the "e" today for Livestrong. Today's it's "LeviSTRONG".
- Michael Rogers (Columbia) , Good morning folks. Trying to find a starbucks on our way to Solvang.. Need coffee. Starting at 13.54 ... I agree people, starbucks ain't the world best coffee, but it's better than the dirty drain water the hotels serve !!
- Michael Rogers (Columbia), Thinking Kings of Leon for todays warm up music
- Tom Danielson (Garmin), Good morning everybody! What a beautiful day here in cali. Its go time!
- Lance Armstrong (Astana) “Done with stage 5 here. Fairly easy. Actually long and boring! Better than cold rain tho. Tomorrow's a big day so we'll see.” “congrats to Cavendish on winning another stage. Kid's fast..”
- Michael Rogers (Columbia) “Cav won again. The whole team rocked today. Michael Barry & Adam Hansen are strong as horses. Hincapie makes magic out of wind.”
- Floyd Landis (OUCH), " I am fine after the spill yesterday. The hip is as strong as ever. Thanks for the best wishes and concerns.:
- Ivan Basso (Liquigas), "I get a massage!"
- Michael Rogers (Columbia). "Cav won todays stage!! Unfortunately Kim Kirchen fell and broke his collar bone."
- Tom Danielson (Garmin), "Sprint finish. Tyler was 5th. All good in this hood."
- Lance Armstrong (Astana), "Stage 4 complete. Another tough one! The boys were making life tough for us!! All good tho. The sun was a big bonus. Legs are pretty good."
- Phil Southerland (Team Type 1),"Done with ToC. Tough racing and lots of improving left to do. Thanks for the cheers!"
- Christian Vande Velde (Garmin), "Icing my knee. Awesome stage today, apart from crashing, again."
- George Hincapie (Team Columbia), "Great stage for us today. The boys are riding well".
- Lance Armstrong (Astana); "Done with stage 3. Another wet/nasty one. Made it home (to the finish) in one piece after some sketchy circuits. Btw, sierra road is steep!"
- Chris Brewer (Astana mgmt)" Astana happy with the day. Levi and Lance secure in the GC and the hotel is in the finishing city! Always a good thing"
- Tom Danielson (Garmin); "Nervous stage today with lots of crashes. Team was awesome today as the kept Z and I right at the front."
- Ivan Basso (Liquigas), "Race ok! i go to massage!! "
- Michael Rogers (Columbia) Nervous stage today due to wind. Dangerous finish circuit. Glad that stage is behind us. Cav was 4th but didn't have his best sprint.
- Astana Management; "Wow, Levi launched a perfectly-timed attack on the final KOM and rode himself right into the yellow jersey in Santa Cruz! Great ride!"
- Ivan Basso (Liquigas), "Race finish rain all day again im in the first group...condition is not bad!!!"
- Lance Armstong (Astana), "Another tough day at the ToC. Had a spill half way. Moto with a photog crashed in front of me and I t-boned them. Body's ok tho."
- Lance Armstong (Astana), "Levi was amazing today. Proved he's by far the strongest man in the race. Nobody close"
- Tom Danielson (Garmin), "Good day. Peterson won the stage and Dave and I finished in a small group about 30 seconds behind levi. Getting my confidence back."
- Johan Bruyneel (Astana), "Levi was impressive today! He was on a mission."
- Michael Rogers (Columbia), "3rd in the stage today. Picked up a few bonus seconds which puts me 2nd on GC. Brutal day again. Kind of hoping to see some blue sky."
- Team Type 1; "Good news: Team Type 1's Phil Southerland and Fabio Calabria made the time cut for today's stage and will compete in Stage 3 tomorrow."
- Christian Vande Velde (Garmin), "Golden Gate, schmolden gate, give us sun! Dry and sunny for the last 5k today, that was a kick in the ding ding.."
- George Hincapie (Columbia), "flatted at worst possible moment today"
- Michael Rogers (Columbia), "Nasty stage into Santa Rosa. Lost of rain and cold. Finished in the front. Mancebo won the stage. He was going fast."
- Tom Danielson (Farmin), "Finished in the front group of favorites today. A brutal day!"
- Yohan Bruyneel (Astana), "When it rains in Cali, it really rains. It has'nt stopped a single second all day. Being a pro cyclist wasn't any fun today."
- Christian Vande Valde (Garmin), "Cold, colder and coldest? Please god don't make it worse tomorrow. The fans are tough and appreciated in this weather!"
- Ivan Basso (Liquigas), "Im relaxing in my room.. Very hard day cold and rain all day.. I go to sleep.."
Keep up to date with our full Amgen Tour of California coverage including articles, results and pictures .
Brought to you by NZ's accredited Amgen Tour of California media outlet RoadCycling.co.nz